Antioxidant activity and phytochemical screening of the methanol, ethyl acetate, and hexane extracts of Lansium domesticum seeds
Adriel Noel Andonaque1, Novie Dorado1, Kyle Jeremiah Ledesma1 and Laureen Manalo1
1Philippine Science High School Western Visayas Campus – Bito-on, Jaro, Iloilo City 5000, Department of Science and Technology, Philippines
This study intended to conduct a qualitative phytochemical test and an antioxidant assay on Lansium domesticum seeds grown in the Philippines. The seeds were extracted through maceration in methanol, ethyl acetate, and hexane. The antioxidant activity of the seeds were tested by measuring the absorbance of the free radical, 2,2’-azinobis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonate) or ABTS through the use of a UV/Vis spectrophotometer. The results were measured in % free radical scavenging activity, using 2% [g/ml] Vitamin C in distilled water as the positive control.
- NCCIH [Internet]. [Updated November 2013]. Antioxidants: In Depth; [cited 28 August 2016]. Available from:https://nccih.nih.gov/health/antioxidants.htm
- Muhamad W. and Kand S-M and Khan AL and You Y-H and Kim J-H and Kim JG. 2-14. Plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria reduce adverse effects of salinity and osmotic stress by regulating phytohormones and antioxidants in Cucumis sativus. Journal of Plant Interactions. 673-682.
- Saha MR, Hasana SMR, Aktera R, Hossain MM, Alamb MS, Alam MA, Mazumderc MEH. 2008. In vitro free radical scavenging activity of methanol extract of the leaves of Mimusops elengi Linn. Banhl J. Vet. Med. 2:197-202.
- Sonia M, Mohamed D. 2008. In vitro antioxidant activities of Aloe vera leaf skin extracts. J Soc Chim Tunisie. 10:101-109. Available from: http://www.sctunisie.org/pdf/JSCT v10-12.pdf
- Bureau of Agricultural Research [Internet]. [Updated October 2012]. Promoting the less-known, phytochemicalrich Pinoy fruits; [cited 28 August 2016]. Availablefrom: https://www.bar.gov.ph/index.php/digest-home/digestarchives/368-2012-4th-quarter/4617-octdec2012-lessknown-fruits
- Yapp DTT, Yap SY. 2003. Lansium domesticum: skin and leaf extracts of this fruit tree interrupt the lifecycle of Plasmodium falciparum, and are active towards a chloroquineresistant strain of the parasite (T9) in vitro. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 85(1):145-150. Available from: http://www.archive.unimas.my/institutes/ihcm/images /document/2003 Lansium domesticum.pdf
- Videira IF, Moura DFL, Magina S. 2013. Mechanisms regulating melanogenesis. An Bras Dermatol. 88(1):76-83.
- Abad AT, Luis M. Antipyretic activity of lanzones Lansium domesticum, correa, 1807, seed extract on male rabbits. HERDIN. 2013 Oct.
- Klungsupya P, Suthepakul N, Muangman T, Rerk-Am U, Thongdon J. 2015. Determination of Free Radical Scavenging, Antioxidative DNA Damage Activities and Phytochemical Components of Active Fractions from Lansium domesticum Corr. Fruit. Nutrients. 7(8): 6852–6873.
- Tiwari P, Kumar B, Kaur M, Kuar G, Kuar H. 2011. Phytochemical Screening and Extraction: A Review. Internationale Pharmaceutica Sciencia. 1(1):98-106
- Hossain MA, AL-Raqmi KAS, AL-Mijizy ZH, Weli AM, AL-Riyami Q. 2013. Study of total phenol, flavonoids contents and phytochemical screening of various leaves crude extracts of locally grown Thymus vulgaris. APJTB. 3(9):705–710